Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

January 11, 2008

False Labor

Well, let's just say that we've had a fun past 10 days...

Let me just start with our last min (literally) trip to Utah. We decided on the 2nd at 5pm to drive to Utah with Jeff's mom...by 10:30pm that night we were on the road. The trip was great, we had a few minor setbacks with a trip to the doctor for Justin and I the day after we got there...(pink eye, yuck!) and my feet only moderately swelled from the trip.

The drive home was when the "fun" really started. Around Lovelock, NV I started feeling really bad. I thought it was heartburn and I took some Rolaids, no biggie... I started driving to put my mind on something other than me, but had to pull over in Sparks, NV to throw up on the side of the road. After two good ones and some blurred vision I got in the back of the car and tried to get comfortable. We headed through Reno and up into the Sierra Nevadas...about 2 hours from Sac. As we were driving I started feeling a little "different" and tried to pinpoint what I was feeling. About half hour into the mountains I decided that I was having contractions....WHAT?!? Since I was induced with Justin and had an epidural I never really had to feel much, so it took me a while to figure out what exactly was going on. My mother in law insisted that I laid in the front of the car with the seat back and so I did...Jeff started timing my contractions and they were 7 min apart and 1 min each...WHAT?!?! Ok, somebody better slow these suckers down, we were still like 80 miles from Sac....

Jeff swears that the heavens were opened as we flew through rush hour traffic and had perfect weather over the pass, we were definately being watched over. By the time we got to the hospital my contractions were 9 min apart, 1 min each and eventually they got less and less. I was thinking we should just drive home, but decided I should probably get checked out anyways just to be safe. By the time I was on the monitor they were pretty much non-existant. The nurse was great, she was so sweet, she told me that I was dehydrated and that the throwing up and sitting in the car for so long without eating probably set my body into labor. Had I stayed in the car for much longer, I might have been having a baby in the car! Luckily I didn't have the baby and I got to go home and SLEEP!! It was super crazy, a nice bonding experience for me and Jeff and to say the least, we now have a bag packed for the hospital and we're starting to get stuff ready for this precious boy that could come anytime I guess!!

Moral of the story...probably best to NOT travel 3 weeks from your due date...(duh!)

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Sheila,
I am so sorry you had to go through that on the way home from Utah...we really loved having you out here and we want you to move back!!!! Stay away from anymore long trips in the car for a few weeks until it's really time! Good Luck...We love you!

Justin & Kamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin & Kamie said...

Glad you can't say "Remember that one time when I gave birth to a baby IN THE CAR".

:)

Kristin said...

Um, seriously???? I'll call you later!!

The Phipps said...

It was so good to see you and your little family even if it was just for a minute. I'm glad that everything turned out fine- and you guys made it home without having your baby on the side of the road! We'll look forward to seeing pictures of the new baby in the next couple of weeks!

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad everything ended up fine. Well...now you know what to do when you want to induce labor!! Good luck with your last little bit of pregnancy. :)

Scott & Annie said...

This is crazy Sheila! I can't believe it! I'm so glad it worked out though. Otherwise, you would have had an extreme bonding experience with Jeff's mom!

HeidiAnn said...

OH MY GOODNESS SHEILA!! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE SO CLOSE!! I will call you soon. Life has been so crazy here as you can imagine. Thanks for being patient. Love you and GOOD LUCK!!