Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

May 19, 2008

The Story that Made my MONTH...

Ok ladies, (and gentlemen if you're reading) listen to THIS...

I tend to be very satisfied with second hand (or free) things...about 75% of Justin's clothes are Zach's hand-me-downs, Justin drives a toy car that I found out by our dumpster, his bike is second-hand, nearly every pair of shoes he wears has been worn before, our first double stroller was also found by a dumpster, our second double stroller was a hand-me-down from Kari's sister Kristin, and now we have a double jogging stroller from Jeff's friend. Being in the situation we're in with Jeff doing only school, we take free stuff anywhere we can get it. "Funds" for extra things just aren't there.

We haven't bought Jordan very much, and really haven't needed to buy anything for him, but I've REALLY wanted this one thing for him...a Bumbo. Heidi raved about it, and I've looked into it a little and really started wanting one. So this weekend Jeff's parents were visiting I very slyly mentioned it to his mom, and had already mentioned it a number of times to my mom, hoping that in some fantasy of mine that one of them would just love to buy this for Jordan, or even go in on it with us...much to my dismay, neither came true. But as I was expressing my extreme desire for this new novelty to my mother in law, her good friend Peggy was over visiting along with her daughter Rachel who just happened to purchase one of these for their nephew who lives with them. Rachel was a little bummed because the mother of this nephew was not very appreciative of the gift and rarely used it. Now the boy is too big for the Bumbo and she said that I COULD HAVE IT!!! I was beside myself. We exchanged numbers and I was determined to stay in touch so that we could get this Bumbo for Jordan. The ladies left and I was seriously on cloud 9. SO EXCITED! About an hour later the ladies came back over...we couldn't think why they were back and when Glade went out to meet them in the parking lot, they had BOUGHT me a brand new Bumbo! WHO DOES THAT?? So here's Jordan, lovin his new little seat...it's better than I thought and we feel so lucky!

16 comments:

Stacie said...

I LOVE those Bumbos too! If I had known you wanted one you could have totally borrowed mine, I won't need it for a few months, but I'm glad you got one. We sure miss you guys, you don't live very far away, but being in a different ward makes it seem like you do. We'll have to meet up this summer at the pool or something.

The Salazar Family said...

Never had a Bumbo, but I've heard many people rave about them. Maybe next time... (which you know me and my pills, could be sooner than later... haha) Anyway, shoulda kept that a secret... Jordan looks so cute sitting there in it. You must be paying tithing! =)

Kristin Jones said...

I never had one for Alexis but got one for Jocelyn. I'm so glad that you love it!! What great people!

Kamie said...

That is awesome! I can't believe how big Jordan looks!

The Phipps said...

I've heard that those things are the best- especially when they start to crawl but you really don't want them going anywhere. So I haven't checked in in a while and I love all of the pictures and funny stories- I'm glad you guys are doing well. Are you still moving out here next year?

Mandi Kiholm Nuttall said...

Sheila you are so cute! I have never heard of a bumbo so now I can start begging for one too! Your comment was so sweet! I have always looked up to you (not physically :)and you were always such a sweet example to me! Thank you so much!

Sarah said...

I love free stuff! You scored! I didn't know babies that young could use one, but that is cool.

THE HAGES said...

OK SHEILA I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER FOR YOU! THE BUMBO IS THE BOMB! AND YES I FOUND YOUR BLOG THROUGH KARI. THOSE PICTURES OF YOUR BOYS ARE THE CUTEST! -HEIDI-

The Laurie's said...

I can't wait to try this Bumbo... Quinn got one at my shower, but he's still too little I think. Anyway... I love your blog background. How did you do it?

Megan

The Clarkson Family said...

This was such a cute post! I love how you write! What a nice family to buy you one! I know how the second-hand thing goes... almost all of my kids clothes are hand-me-downs. Your boys are sure cute!

Scott & Annie said...

Best invention for a 3-6 month old. Hands down. I LOVE IT! And you lucked out, girl!

Stephanie said...

Hi Sheila, just checking out your blog. :)

The Scotts said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I totally loved the Bumbo I borrowed from Stacie when Rachel was a baby. They're so helpful and it really helps save on the space a high chair would take up. What great fortune you've had. This is what comes from paying your tithing.....

Holly said...

Love the Bumbo story and the second-hand items. I am all about that. Sometimes when my child gets so dirty, I wonder why anyone even bothers buying new clothes. But they're fun, too. I was so excited to find a Bumbo deal on Craigslist. I, too, have heard they're great. I'm excited to try it out in a few months.

Zumwalt said...

We will have to look into getting one of these as well. Both your boys are growing so much. Please let us know if you are planning any more trips out to Utah. We would love to see you guys. I really need to call Jeff soon. Have fun!

Carolyn said...

Way to go Uncle Glade!!! He is so cool, I bought a Bumbo for Taylor and I think it was too late because she was sitting on her own. I am glad you got it just in time!!!