Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

September 17, 2008

Don't give ME any excuses...

Now, we all know that we've been told to get our...including our...

and our...

of course, don't forget the...

So if SPACE is your excuse for not getting it...

Pah-LEASE!!!

Don't you think food storage makes a great shoe rack? (There's more food behind these ones)

Water has been my focus lately. I just realized that without water, all of my storage is pretty much useless. So we've been drinking soda...and I'm gaining weight. UGH!

So, in a nutt-shell, I've had a huge urge to get more food storage.

Now yes, we are living on student loans, and yes, we have no "conventional" place to put all of this food. So of course when I mentioned it to Jeff, he was fine with what we had and felt like we'd be blessed for what we had. Wait till we have a house to do the rest.

I wasn't satisfied. I told Jeff we'd just put it in my closet...I didn't care, I figured that in a major crisis where we're living off food storage, I'd probably kick myself for not getting it done b/c of space.

BUT, I didn't really know how to can food by myself at the cannery, or where to even find it, so I just decided to order these boxes of wheat, quick oats and white rice from the distribution center's website. FREE SHIPPING and the case of rice was actually CHEAPER than buying one from my local cannery!!! SCORE! So, I bought what we could afford and added just a little bit more to our supply. THEN I learned how to can at the cannery and did my sugar and white flour, onions, apples, powdered milk (yuck!) macaroni, beans, and potatoes!!! It was way easy!

After the food was covered, I decided to focus on water. We've been buying 2 L sodas on sale and filling them up with water + 4 drops of bleach, labeling them and adding them to MY CLOSET!

So there you have it. If you're thinking of doing it, DO IT!

19 comments:

Katie said...

way to go Sheila!! This is halarious! But, we know that in an emergency those who arent prepared wont be laughing!!
Your children are ADORABLE!

Kristin said...

Love it! You are on it girl! No excuses! And I seriously used that one for so many years, we are just now getting it going. Now with Hurricane Ike really affecting our families in Houston, I am feeling a big push to have more! Thanks for that great reminder! And I think you are amazing!

Brynn said...

Sweet!! I love having food storage. It really makes me sleep better at night when I know I'm good to go! Way To Go!

Sarah said...

That's so cool, Sheila. We ordered some online too, but we had to pay shipping...probably because we live in the middle of nowhere.
I need to update my water storage so thanks for the motivation!!

The Clarkson Family said...

The way you posted this was so cute! I love it! I need to do better with water, too. Thanks for the reminder!

Jess and Jenn said...

Okay so you have totally motivated me to finish my food storage!! I keep putting it off and know I need to get it done, so thank you! I'm getting on that ASAP, thanks for the tips too!

Taylorbriguy said...

Great blog Sheila. I can't believe how big your kids are. Crazy. You guys look great. I love all the pictures. Hey, in the movie "RM" they used their food storage as mattresses. You might want to consider something like that before getting your children real mattress! Or if it's water that you're having trouble storing, how about a water bed? I'm just full of good ideas over here. I think it's the Iowa corn that's sharpening my thinking.

sherrie said...

yeah i need to pick up on this too. thanks for the motivation!

Abby Hanson said...

Good job Sheila! You're awesome. I hear you about gaining weight with the soda...we kept buying soda to refill with water too. Recently I've started buying the two-liter bottles of club-soda instead. It takes a little longer to stock up on water, but we don't have to drink soda and I use the club-soda for stains on clothes and carpets but I just learned that there are tons of other ways to use it (http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-
how/extraordinary-uses-for-
club-soda/article23793.html).

Abby Hanson said...

Oh -- and I HATE powdered milk too! BUT I discovered that you can use it when you make box mac & cheese and you CAN'T EVEN TELL! I think it has something to do with the cheese already being powdered. Seriously. It works.

I've also tried powdered milk in baking and can't tell the difference.

We have a yogurt maker and I use powdered milk there too. Can't even tell! I LOVE IT because I remember when my mom would mix it with regular milk trying to fool us....blech. I could always tell. :)

Jeff and Sheila Capell said...

Thanks Abby!! Great tips...I'm totally buying club soda.

Angela said...

YAY! You're awesome! I've been really trying to do the same with our food storage, and I've got little hiding place I store food too. I just bought a wheat grinder and I'm SO excited to start using it... I guess I need to get some wheat. hmmm......

Kristin Jones said...

Look at you!! You're awesome and inspiring. I've got to get working on 72 hour kits!

HeidiAnn said...

You're an inspiration. I love to pieces!

The Phipps said...

Sheila- you are just so inspiring! :) Have you tried giving your kids the powder milk? I started making it for my kids when I realized that all of the milk from my one month kits was going to go bad- they love it! They even ask for it. I haven't made it for a couple of months so hopefully they haven't lost the love. You can also add chocolate milk mix and it doesn't taste as strong. Anyways, loved the post- you're too cute.

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

Hey!!!!
It's me! Cristina! :) why the bleach in the water? I'm also on a food storage mission!

Carolyn said...

Sheila, I am seriously impressed! You are awesome!

Scott & Annie said...

I have really been feeling the same way Sheila! since we talked I've been filling up all my old milk jugs with water and we even got 2 blue barrels. You're right, no excuses anymore. I told Scott the same thing, I don't care - let's just make sure we have everything. I'm kind of nervous that we're feeling such an urge:)

The Minnicks said...

You are awesome Sheila, I have no excuses! It was great to see you the other night.