Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

March 15, 2009

My First Half-Marathon

My friend Becky (middle) convinced me to run with her in the East Bidwell Half-Marathon in Chico. (I think that's what it's called, who knows.) Anyways, we did a relay, so no, I did NOT run a half-marathon by myself...like I would EVER do that!! No, my 6.8 miles of the relay was FAR more than I have EVER dreamed (or wait, wouldn't that be a nightmare?) of doing. In preparation I ran at the most, 4 miles straight, walking for a minute after the first two miles, then for a minute after the third mile. We planned on running a mile, walking a minute, running another mile, walking a min. etc. So coming in to this race I told Becky she'd be lucky if I made it past the finish line before 2 hours.
So she ran the first leg of the race (thankfully) and I pulled up the end. About an hour and 10 min. after the gun shot, she was running up to me, finishing her 6.4 miles!!! WHAT?? So soon?? She told me that she didn't walk at all, hit my hand and off I went. Becky didn't WALK?? DANG IT!! The first couple of miles weren't too bad, and so I kept going. (oh, by the way, I was running with my disc-man, remember those?? Big, round, skips if you shake them too much?? Thought they didn't exist anymore right?? Yes, I am ghetto. A lady actually came up to me while I was waiting for Becky to tag my hand to ask me if I was ACTUALLY going to run with that.) Anyways, my batteries RAN OUT after mile TWO!! So I lugged that piece of c**p around for 4.8 MILES with NO MUSIC!! ARGH!!!
So being the competitive person that I am, I decided that if BECKY can run without walking then I CERTAINLY could too...so I ran...and ran...and ran...
And crossed the finish line an hour and 12 min after starting, without walking!!! My knee was hurting SOOOOO bad, and I could hardly walk after this and for the next 4 days after, but it was a great feeling of accomplishment.
Here we are, team 20!! WAHOO!! WE DID IT! I'm not sure if I'll ever do anything like that again, but I'm glad we did. Thanks Becky, I would have never dreamt I would ever run in something like this.

*It's now been 8 days since the race and I might try and run this week...I need to exercise SO BAD! Injuries=Lazy=Fat (this could be bad.)

***I ran today (Monday) bad idea. Still hurts. I guess it's back to Tae Bo! GO BILLY!

12 comments:

Scott & Annie said...

Sheila! AMAZING! That is so awesome. Good for you. You keep surprising us!

Megan said...

Congratulations on your great time! You totally can do a half marathon on your own. All you need is some great music and a running buddy.

sherrie said...

you go girl! we need to hang soon...

Kari said...

Way to go Sheila!! I had no idea that you did this already. There is no way I could do it! YOU ROCK!!

Kristin said...

Nice job! I am totally impressed! Do you want my Rio? Its a mp3 player that holds like 30 songs, but its pretty user friendly and has an armband. Let me know if you want it!

The Clarkson Family said...

Okay, You are truly my hero! Running a race and winning the weight loss competition?? You are so cool! I love the before and after pics - way cool! You look so great. I can't wait to have this baby and lose the weight I have put on! Yeah...your siblings or someone needs to pitch in and get you an ipod for your b-day or something! :) I remember the Discman days...

The Bjurstrom Family said...

Congrats:) I was so happy to see the two of you there. Maybe I'll have to find a really good way of convincing you to run with me sometime:)

Amy said...

what a great accomplishment! that is something on my list of to-do's in life... still scared to do it. props to you!

Hobbs Family said...

Good for you! That is so awesome. I've talked about doing a 5K (I think that is what it is called), but the timing is never right for me to train for it. Anyway, someday maybe I will be as cool as you! Good job!

Amber Brown said...

You are awesome!! and you could totally run a half marathon!! If I (the most unathletic person EVER who used to go running with Angela just to have her run back and forth across the street in front of me..) can do it than YOU (chick who did like three sports in high school and could kick my trash in anything..) can do it!!

Jessica said...

that's awesome!! way to go!

Brian and Lori Faulconer said...

Thats awesome! I feel so bad about not getting back to you about the ipod! Brian is not sure he wants me to get rid of it... I don't know why. Sorry!