Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

June 22, 2010

Disappointed? Not so much.

Disclaimer: Some of you might like me a little less after reading this, but I guess if you really know ME, then you'll read this and say, "Yeah, I guess that's Sheila".

SOOOO, I took Jeff to see Wicked!! We did it, we saw our first Broadway Show together. I had rationalized spending THAT much money on entertainment over and over in my head and decided that it would be totally worth it to see Wicked, I mean, everyone I've talked to has LOVED it, RAVED about it, so why wouldn't we?? Jeff is not a very art-sy musical type, so I was really worried that he would not be that in to the show. So many guys have loved it too, so I thought this would be a good one for us. Anyways, I got the tickets and we were doubling with Jeff's brother Darren and his GREAT wifey Natalie. Our boys stayed with G&G Capell (HUGE thank you, the boys had a blast swimming and playing with you, you are so wonderful!) and we were off to San Francisco around 2 pm. We did some shopping before hand and then dinner at the TOP of Macys in Union Square at the Cheesecake Factory. It was all very great and we totally overate.

We got to the Orpheum and this place did NOT disappoint, inside it was AMAZING and beautiful and breathtaking, really, this place is great. We took all the usual pictures that I see on everyone's blogs:




and then the show began!

My thoughts afterward:

I LOVED the music, the story, everything, it was all pure fun entertainment. Jeff really enjoyed himself too, he really liked the story and the music and being there. SO YAY! We were not disappointed at all by this great production and I thought it was really funny! Glinda is absolutely soo funny, super cute! BUT...I have to now put in my inner thoughts and feelings. This will probably be the only Broadway show that Jeff and I will see together. (Unless by some miracle, we get free tickets) I have seen RENT in London, PHANTOM in NYC, and now WICKED in SF. All were very entertaining and I guess some think it's cool to "say" you've done something. I guess I thought I would be really missing out if I didn't go and see this show while it was in San Fran. I'm not sure how much you guys paid when you went and saw this show, I've heard rumors of my friends paying $100 a ticket or so...and really, we paid $50 each, so $100 out the door for a great night together. I totally can see how people love Broadway, especially if you are musical (I'm not so much), and then to get to get all dressed up and look cute and have a great cultured night out...Well, as you can see, Jeff and I don't really dress up all that much, and to him, that actually WAS dressed up, so I guess you can say we are not really your fancy type. I guess for $100 I was left feeling a little, well, like I could have had a super fun night with Jeff for about a third that and still done something fun for three nights in a row that would add to up that one fun night. Does any of this make sense?? I guess here it is, Wicked was SO great, it really was, I loved it, but I probably loved it for like, $20 a piece, not $50 a piece. Jeff and I won't even go to the movie theater because we can have just as much fun at home renting the same movie a couple months later for a buck from Redbox. I guess I'm just cheap and that's all there is to it. I hate hate hate spending money and if I do, I need to REALLY feel like it was totally worth it in the end. EXAMPLE: For our anniversary, I really wanted to just take Jeff camping for $26 bucks a night. We would have had a fabulous time camping and in the end, only spent $52 for two nights and three days of great fun. It was like torture for me to decide to spend a whopping $79 per night at the place we wound up staying at. I REALLY didn't want to get let down by some cheap roach motel when our air mattress and sleeping bags were a sure win. The 39 degree nights in Tahoe were the kicker and I went for the $79 "splurge" and was super happy with the outcome...shoot, with all the FREE stuff we got to do while we were there, the $79 was WELL worth it in the end. So you see, if you didn't know all this about me before, you do now.

Jeff and I are cheap.

Period.

16 comments:

Alena said...

Um, I more like to think that you are frugal, not cheap :) I agree about Broadway shows. I want to see Wicked, but am afraid to spend so much money on something I just sorta like. I saw Les Mes for free with a bunch of High School kids (When I was in my early 20's). I had dreamed about the day I would see that particular musical since I was 10, so I had really built it up. I can't complain since it was free, but even still it was a little bit of a let down all things considered. I guess I'm willing to give Broadway another try, as long as it turns out to be as magical as I hope it will be :) Otherwise I'm out.

Shaun and Kelli Stracener said...

To each their own of course. I think it's awesome that you gave it a try and I agree that you can definitely have alot more fun doing something way cheaper. And I agree that you aren't CHEAP, you are FRUGAL, which is totally great! Shaun and I have a really hard time spending money on anything b/c "he" will just sit there and think about all the money we just spent.
On the other hand, me being a musical person, I LOVE anything that has to with arts. I went to NYC once and saw 3 musicals in 2 days and I thought I was in absolute heaven. So to me, seeing a REAL Broadway musical like Wicked would TOTALLY be worth the money b/c I am just in complete awe of the talent etc.. It's something I could only dream of doing myself. I guess it always just depends on the people and what you like and don't like. But way to go for trying something different. At least now you know... haha. I commend Jeff for trying it too. You have to stick with what you are comfortable with. Thanks for sharing, I actually really like this post, and I love you even more for it too. LOl.

Kari said...

OH Sheila! You make me laugh! I am proud of you for going and giving it a shot and I'm glad that Jeff went along with it. Looks like you guys had a great time even though you feel like you were spending way too much money doing it. It really is all a personal thing and what is worth the money to you. You know I'm the one that loves to go to those things and spend the money on them but I totally understand where you are coming from and how it is easy to feel like you could have spent that money doing something else. It's a tough call. Luckily I have Mark who enjoys going to those things with me and doesn't mind spending the money. I am a sucker for amazing talent and entertainment like WICKED. You are way better at the frugal thing than me and I think you are awesome for it!! Stick to your guns sis and if you don't want to spend the money on things like that then don't! I have a hard time spending money on going to the movie theater as well and that is one thing Mark and I will most of the time just wait and rent. It is way more fun to be on your own couch with your hubby! :)

Jeff and Sheila Capell said...

Alena-I hope it's magical when you try it again.
Kelli-I totally thought of you and your sisters as those who would totally think it's worth the money. I'm sure you were in HEAVEN watching three broadway shows!!!

Jeff and Sheila Capell said...

Thanks guys, seriously, the talent really was amazing, and it might be what blew me away the most. It might have been funner for a girls night than a date night...hmmmmm.

I really had a good time!

Amy said...

hahaha- i LOVE your disclaimer! i totally understand. it's so hard to put money into something that feels SO frivolous. i could NEVER pay for the $100 tickets- no way! i am a total music person so, for me, it was worth the money. but, the last time we went was a birthday gift for both of us so there was no money guilt. i'm just glad you still enjoyed it :)

Kristin Jones said...

Seriously, love you girl!!

Amber Brown said...

Hahahaaaaaaa HA! You make me laugh! I love you Sheila!!!! I've seen Wicked a ridiculous FOUR times and while I loved it every time if I were to sit down and think about the amount I spent on all those tickets I think I would vomit. While the music and story and costumes and all of that is seriously wonderful, I think a lot of it is the overall experience of going to a Broadway show that makes it great. I'm glad you went and that Jeff gave it a try but stick to your guns and be proud and don't feel the need to do stuff because everyone else thinks it's worth it, guess what, maybe it's just not worth it to YOU. It's great that you're "cheap." I know you're still fun-LOTS of fun---you just think about the ramifications of your purchases and what you might be giving up for one fun night out. Spendy people like me can learn a lot from you.

That being said....I think if you saw it in NYC you'd totally think it was worth the $50 bucks

And also...I'm glad you were my date for my first ever broadway experience :)

Jeff and Sheila Capell said...

AMBER!! I LOVE that you have seen it FOUR TIMES!! AND I LOVE that I was your first date to a Broadway show, it was so fun!

HeidiAnn said...

You are so not frugal . . . you are cheap! Cheap Cheap Cheap!! Okay, I am TOTALLY kidding! I wish I was as Chrugal as you. Get it, frugal + cheap = Chrugal??!! :) K, so I laughed through this whole post because I think you are so funny and I could totally hear you saying all of this, and I laughed out loud when you said that that was dressed up for Jeff. Jeans and a plaid shirt. Awesome. I think I love you guys more and more all the time. I miss you Sheila!!!! Yeah, I love love loved it, but don't worry, we still all love you for dissin' it. :) tehe. Man, I am funny. I miss you!

HeidiAnn said...

P.S. Let's all do our next girlfriend reunion in NYC for a broadway show!!! Are you in?!?!!

The Garner Family said...

We can relate:) Jason's Air Force dentist buddies tease him because he drives a VERY used, '96 gold Toyota corolla :) They say, "Now there's a guy who knows the value of a dollar!" They are saying it to tease him, but I think it is a true compliment in our modern society. It feels good to get a good deal. I get sick (not literally) when I spend too much. But there are those "once in a lifetime" opportunities that might be worth the experience. I'm glad you had a chance to dress up and go out!

Anonymous said...

When my sister and I went to England in 2008 we went to see Wicked in London. Awesome experience. We also saw Hamlet in Stratford-upon-Avon with Patrick Stewart and David Tennant. Front row seats and David Tennant even spat on me. I was the first seat to the aisle. It was awesome and a great memory. Clare

Jeff and Sheila Capell said...

Who is Clare?? Anyone??

Angela said...

HA! Your so funny! Wicked is awesome and I think it was worth every last penny that we spent on it! And for front row tickets too! Nothing less than the best for us! Oh wait, I won that ticket... haha That was the best raffle EVER! Anyway, I'm glad you got to see it and are a little more cultured now. =) But I must say, I might pay for some decent tickets just to see it again. I'd save up of course! =)
And Happy Anniversary! It's so funny because didn't I take at least two of those pictures? I think that's where my photography drive all started. With a wedding of two little love birds that go to basketball courts, basketball in hand and sweat clothes on, just to make out! hahahaha I still remember that day of Christian and I walking into the Smith Field House ready to whoop some bootie and seeing two people over on the side a little too cozy and us thinking, "get a room", and then you guys popped up suddenly! haha that makes me laugh!! And you're still doing it now. So cute! LOVE YOU!

Shaun and Kelli Stracener said...

Okay now I'm laughing at CHRUGAL! HHAHAHAH. LOVE IT! And if ya'll go to NYC for a reunion, I'm SOO IN this time!Chrugal!