Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach

November 30, 2010

Hailey's story

So I'm super impressed with Jeff's post! Good job honey. Thanks everyone for your sweet comments. So here's the birth story.

Hailey's due date was Dec 4th, so last Saturday I was 39 weeks...FINALLY!! I was so excited to be so close. After a lazy, rainy morning, it had sorta cleared up outside and I decided to take the boys on a bike ride while I walked around the block and up and down our street. We had a good couple of hours together outside and then decided to rest for a bit. I hadn't felt the baby move much all morning, if at all so I decided to make an effort and feel her move. After about two hours, I still hadn't felt her and I started having some bad thoughts (the scary ones that you shouldn't ever think) and decided to call the doctor just to get some peace of mind. He told me just to go in and get hooked up at the hospital to see what was going on. So my good friend's daughter Kahlia came to hang with the boys and I was off to the hospital, no bags packed, nothing. Jeff was working and so he just met me down at the birth center, that was nice! Well, to make a long story short, after hearing the heartbeat I was ready to come back home...the nurse, not so much. She didn't like the way Hailey's strip was looking. Her heart rate wasn't accelerating the way they like to see in normal babies so she was trying some tricks to wake her up. After a couple hours of this, nothing was improving so the doctor ordered a biophysical profile which is basically an hour long ultrasound where they score it for certain things. If you get a high score things are fine, low score, they deliver your baby. I got a low score. So in my mind, they would induce me and I would be having my baby in about 8 our so hours...wahoo! Jeff and I were excited at that thought. Then the nurse brought in the phone for the doctor to talk to me. He said he was on his way over and that I would have my baby in about an hour...WHAT? An hour?? They were so concerned with her heart rate that induction was not an option and the only thing left was C-section. So after a quick admittance and set-up, I was all prepped for surgery and at 9:30 pm, Hailey was delivered, healthy and happy! Well, she did have the cord around her neck and it was a really thin cord. Also, she had swallowed meconium and so she had been under stress. It makes sense now.

After all is said is done, Jeff and I cannot be more grateful for the Spirit and the Lord's constant hand in our lives. It was obvious that Hailey needed to come into the world then, and had we waited, things could have gotten scary. I'm so grateful that I listened.

It's way different recovering from a C-section than a normal delivery...and I have to say, I might like it better. It's day 3 now and I really am feeling amazing. Kinda cursing my stairs right now, but it will get better. The boys are handling it all great and it's so nice to be home with them. My mom came and WAS OUR ANGEL! She hung out with the boys so Jeff and I could be together, cleaned my house, did my laundry, cooked food...THANK YOU MOTHER!!!
My three days in the hospital were great. Now we're ready to be a fam of FIVE!! WHOA! We're setting up Christmas tonight and it's fun to be all together again. Thanks for all your comments, we think Hailey is pretty beautiful too. I'll post more pictures soon. LOVE YOU!

14 comments:

Heidi Miller said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I cried through this post. Sheila. You are such a special mother and I feel blessed to know. This makes me grateful for the spirit too! Wow. I can't wait to talk to you!! I didn't call today because my throat is hurting so badly it is hard to talk! Ugh!! I will call you in a couple days!
LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

Sheila! Hailey looks just like you! Beautiful lucky lady!

Brian and Lori Faulconer said...

Crying right now! I am so glad you are in tune with your baby, body and the spirit! Hailey is just the most beautiful little baby, I wish we were closer so I could come and snuggle her!!! I wish you all the best with those stairs... happy recovering!

The Howards said...

Oh my goodness!! I didn't check your blog for like a week and I miss out! Congratulations to you! Wow, I'm glad she is ok and you thought to go in. She is just beautiful...and I love all the dark hair and that you went with the boys name suggestion. Too cute! Can't wait to see lots more updates on your family of Five!!

The Fishers said...

Oh my, so glad everything worked out okay. Congratulations. She's beautiful!!! So glad to hear your recovery is going good. I hear those C-sections can be beasts!!
Love you and miss you

Sofia Dowse said...

I'm so glad you are doing fine! Congratulations - and she is beautiful.

The Garner Family said...

Congrats! Way to be in tune with the Spirit! Enjoy this precious time!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

I'm so glad Hailey arrived and all is well now. I have to know the details on why you like a C-sections better?? And Hailey is just beautiful! I also love the car seat cover. I need to get more details on that too, since I have the SAME exact winnie the pooh green, plaid infant seat!! And I feel the same way about it as you, too! I'm so glad you posted all the details... I love hearing baby stories! Congratulations!!!

THE HAGES said...

So So So So HAPPY FOR YOU!!! She is so perfect!! I cant wait to see her in person and love on her!!

Carolyn said...

She is adorable! And so tiny! What a little bundle of joy!!! I am so glad she is here and safe! Congratulations!!!!

Bryan and Ashley said...

I love that I can read your blog and feel uplifted. You are such a good example to all of us! I'm so, so grateful that things turned out okay, and that you have your beautiful girl with your family! Keep us updated on life with three!!!

Danny Janessa, and Allan said...

I was taking notes as i was reading to see how i could have my baby a week early, but as i read i realized you were probably worried about your little angel and i should let nature take its course. I am so happy for you guys a miss you bunches.

Starks Haven said...

Oh, she is beautiful!!!!!!...This is Jenny's mama from Texas. Congrat's on your little girl.

Amber Brown said...

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so happy for you guys and so happy that everything worked out!!! YAY for baby girls and for being a family of FIVE--you have crossed over the threshold and now have a "big" family right? YEEHAW!! Love you!!!!